background 1.20

Monday, September 17, 2012

#1 Big Brother

He's warming up to her:



I'm not going to lie.  The first week of welcoming Hattie into our family was rough on Liam (and on his parents' patience).  REALLY rough.

Liam was obviously not loving it, and I wasn't prepared for the acting out, the throwing of fits, and the naughty behavior that came with it.  Having a two year old understand that everything will change, and yet, that nothing about your love for them changes, when you bring the new baby home is impossible.  All Liam knew was that his life was different, and I can understand how that was disruptive.  Add to that that he is TWO (we do not call them the terrible twos, but everyone knows that that age has its own struggles) and that I wasn't sleeping as much as I was used to, and well--like I said: It was a rough week.

I try to be a good mom, all the time.  I don't want to look back on moments or seasons and regret how I handled things...unfortunately, I wish I would have prepared myself a little more for how to prepare Liam for Hattie.  I may have had to take a more than a couple deep breaths.  I may have had to apologize for losing my patience and cool a few times.  I may not have been that perfect mom that I imagined myself to be.

However, I am thankful to say that two weeks later (and about 20 tantrums, 40 time outs, and many tears--some from me) I am a little wiser.  A couple words of advice for future moms of second children.

1)  Prepare, prepare, prepare.  Talk to your child about what is happening with your pregnancy.  Talk to your child about what will happen when the baby comes home.  Talk, talk, talk.

2) Involve them.  Let them come to the hospital.  Ask your older child to help ("I think sister is cold, can you put the blanket on her?"  "Can you help find the pacifier?") and praise them for their help.

3) Don't push them to love, hold, or kiss the new baby.  Let them warm up on their own and become friends in their own time.  Also, don't schedule a photo shoot days after the birth and expect your firstborn to kiss, cuddle and pose like some portrait you pinned on Pinterest (it was a traumatic experience, to say the least).

4) Give your firstborn as much one-on-one attention as possible.  Do special things with them.  As much as possible, spend time playing with them rather than holding your newborn.  Show them that your love for them has not changed a bit.

And hopefully, you'll find that in about a week, your firstborn will be asking: "Where is baby Hattie?", responding to her cries by shoving the pacifier in her mouth, or asking to feed her:)  And maybe, just maybe, if you wait a week, you'll snap that pinterest-perfect picture of him kissing her forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment