background 1.20

Monday, April 26, 2010

"Ready, Set, Deliver" Class #1


So I still haven't rented Baby Mama yet, but I will this week. I wonder if her lamaze class was anything like mine...probably not.
Less than ten weeks to go in this pregnancy and for the next five Mondays, Matt and I will be attending a "Ready, Set, Deliver" birthing class at our hospital. Tonight was the first class. We sat in a semi-circle, kind of how I imagine an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting looks, with about 15 other couples. Except instead of saying "Hi, my name is Hannah and I am an alcoholic," I said "Hi my name is Hannah, this is my husband Matt, and we are due July 5th."

Summary of the night: Matt almost fell asleep from boredom--until they put on a Bill Cosby sketch which woke him up for a few laughs (I'll bet he won't be falling asleep, or laughing, when they start showing the real-life birth videos). And I almost fell asleep too...except in my case it was utter relaxation instead of boredom.

The instructor had the women practice different positions to relax and focus on V E R Y S L O W breathing. At first, breathing that slow was difficult for me. I am a fast paced person and my lungs have historically followed suit, but it is incredible the difference it makes when you concentrate on nothing but breathing slow. Oh, and did I mention that while I was working hard breathing, Matt was massaging my back, neck and hands. I could get used to that! Needless to say, if we don't take away anything but the massage from the next four classes, it will be worth the $90 dollar class fee.

Bring on week two and another massage!

1 comment:

  1. Ahaha We are taking the same classes trough Sutter, but ours are Ready Set Deliver Naturally, and Randy was so board until she played the old movie of Bill Cosby... he laughed! Have you taken your hospitable tour of the maturity ward yet? It is so nice and Homey... To night we have our breast feeding class!!! I am glad that you and Baby are doing good!! Before we know it we will have little ones!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete