background 1.20

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

William's Dedication


Sunday was a very special day for our family and emotional for me.  On William's one-month birthday, he was dedicated to the Lord at our church.  And just as Hannah presented Samuel to the Lord in the book of Samuel, I presented William to God.  I know that he is not mine.  He has been entrusted to us, but he belongs to God.

As we stood on stage with the pastor and other families who were dedicating their children, I was overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude, for all the Lord has blessed me with.  And also overwhelmed with the understanding that Matt and I have a huge responsibility to raise a man out of this little child.  So far, so good: William was the most well behaved child there--he slept the entire time :)

Deuteronomy 6:4-7 is clear that parents are responsible for the teaching of God, but it is also clear that teaching is more than words, it is an example set.  As I think about that--REALLY think about it--it makes me want to be a better person. (I know--it sounds trite, but it is true).  After all, his little eyes will be watching me, his little ears will be listening to me and his little heart will know whether my deeds are genuine.  His future, his security, his passions, his memories, his faith are somewhat dependent on our influence in his life.  I hope I can live up to the challenge!

Thank you to our family and friends that came (or watched streaming online--Katie!), and for them promising to support, pray for and be spiritual examples to William as he grows.  It takes a village community :)
Thanks to all our family and friends who came out to promise 
their support and prayers over William's life.


William's get-up was a Christening gown made in the 1800's by my great, great, great grandmother; worn by countless infants in my family including my siblings, cousins, uncles, mother and grandmother.  Below are pictures of my mother and I in the gown.  We were honored that my grandmother shared the gown with us, and pray that William will grow strong in the Lord as many of those who have also worn the gown have.
My mother wearing the gown at her christening, with my Nana and Papa

My christening, with my parents and uncle Chris


William in the gown at his dedication

No comments:

Post a Comment